- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup unbleached flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt, optional
- 2 eggs
- 12 prune plums
- sugar and lemon juice, for topping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
2. Cream sugar and butter in a bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and eggs and beat well.
3. Spoon the batter into an 8, 9, or 10-inch springform pan.
4. Split and pit the plums and place the halves, skin side up, on top of the batter.
5. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice, depending on the sweetness of the fruit. Sprinkle with about a teaspoon of cinnamon to taste.
6. Bake about an hour. Serve with whipped cream or plain.
The sugar and lemon juice are optional, and you can substitute any number of flavorings for the cinnamon – vanilla, lemon zest, ground cardamom, or even a touch of rose water or orange blossom water.